Preparing For the Writing Placement Assessment
Here are a few ideas to help you prepare for taking the WPA:
- Use the reading selections found on this website and follow the instructions
from this list.
- Set a two-hour time limit to read each article and to write an analysis
using the prompt located at the end of the reading samples.
- Read and evaluate your own essay using the scoring criteria found
on this web site.
- Better still--get together with a group of classmates, read and write
about the same article, exchange papers, evaluate each other's papers
and have a discussion.
- Repeat these steps until you master the essential skills.
- To continue practicing, find short editorials (10-12 column inches)
from a local newspaper or news magazine.